The CBC News reports that the Ontario government’s health agency is urging most hospitals in the province to stop doing anything other than emergency and life-saving surgeries due to the growing caseload of COVID-19 patients.
A memo was sent to hospitals Thursday night asking them to postpone their emergency surgeries, starting Monday, everywhere but in northern Ontario.
“Given the growing number of cases and widespread social outreach in many parts of the province, we are facing increasing and severe pressure on our critical care capacity,” Ontario Health CEO Matthew Anderson said in a memo from CBC News.
“We advise hospitals to minimize all selective surgeries and non-disclosure / emergency measures to protect critical care and human resource capacity,” Anderson says.
The provincial health agency has also warned hospitals.
“We can ask for health workers / teams who are available to support care in other parts of the organization,” Anderson says. “We may ask you to identify available employees who may be re-employed on sites that require support.”
Ontario hospitals have recorded the number of ill patients with COVID-19 in the intensive care units. Prime Minister Doug Ford on Wednesday cited pressure on ICUs in his decision to declare a third state of emergency and order the province stay at home.
According to the Daily Report of Critical Care Services Ontario, there were 532 patients with Covit-19 in the state’s ICUs Wednesday night.
There are about 2,000 ICU beds in Ontario. Emergency patients without COVID-19 typically fill 1,200 to 1,400 beds.
Modeling from Ontario’s COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Schedule 600 COVID-19 patients in ICUs in mid – April and 800 patients by the end of the month if current case trends are to continue.
“We need to build more capacity to look after the types of patients that are coming up over the next two weeks,” Dr. Chris Simpson, medical vice president of Ontario Health, said in an interview Thursday. Night.
“To do that, we need to reduce some surgeries and procedures and other observations that can be postponed,” said Simpson, who works as a cardiologist at the Kingston Center for Health Sciences. That hospital already has plenty of space Transfer of patients from the Greater Toronto area In an effort to reduce the pressure on bustling hospitals.
Emergency surgeries for stroke, heart attack and trauma will not be postponed and emergency cancer surgery will not be performed, Simpson said. However, activities such as hip and knee replacements will be postponed.
Since the first wave of the epidemic hit the province in March 2020, Ontario has not ordered the postponement of emergency surgery.
Postponement of selected surgeries relieves the potential in ICUs because some patients require critical care after their operations, sometimes due to the severity or complications of the surgery, Simpson said.
“We need to make sure that every ounce of capacity we have is used to the best of our ability,” he said.
There is already one in Ontario Appendix of more than 245,000 medical procedures According to the most recent provincial data, the epidemic was postponed from the previous one.
Ford Government An additional 8 1.8 billion allocation COVID-19 in last month’s provincial budget to help hospitals care for patients and eliminate attachment.