John Mankoni, the long-distance face of public transportation in Ottawa, is retiring in September after 32 years with the municipality.
“Thank you for your 30+ years of service to the city – including years of being GM of transportation services,” Gown said. Alan Hubli tweeted Thursday afternoon that this is how many people first heard the news.
“Thank you for your hard work, guidance and friendship during your time as Chairman of the Transport Authority.”
John Manconi Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! Thank you for your 30+ years of service to the city – including his years as GM of Transport Services. Thanks for your hard work, guidance & amp; Friendly during his tenure as chairman of the Transport Authority. @OC_Transpo
& mdash;@ Allenhubli_23
A longtime municipal employee – he started working in the pre-annexed city of Nepal in 1987 when he was in his early 20s – Manconi worked in surface operations including road maintenance and snow removal. Between 2007 and 2012, he was general manager of public works in the city of Ottawa.
But 54-year-old Manconi, O.C. Well known to the public for his role as head of Transpo, the work he undertook eight years ago, just months before the signing of the contract for the first phase of the LRD.
In July 2016, after the reorganization of the city administration, Manconi’s role was expanded to include oversight of all transportation services in the city, not just transportation.
According to Ontario’s Sunshine list, he earned 5 295,624 in 2020.
The face of LRT failure
The head of a public transport company is in a relatively high position in any major city. During the construction of the East-West Confederate fort, O.C. As he oversaw both of the major disruptions to the Transpo service, it repeatedly gave bad news about the $ 2.1 billion LRD project.
Although the Light Rail system was developed and maintained by the Rido Transit Group (RDG), it was largely up to Manconi to update the Council on the progress and operation of the LRD. Several delays during construction And Many problems After the line was launched a year ago.
For problems with LRD, Manconio or O.C. Although someone at Transpo was not directly responsible, some questioned whether the senior manager had properly informed politicians – and the public.
For example, in early September 2018, Manconi told councilors The federal tax will not be ready until 2019, As expected instead of that November. Councilors running for re-election had been campaigning that summer based on the understanding that the LRD was coming, and some felt blinded by the news of the delay.
In August 2019, after repeatedly telling councilors that the RTG would provide 17 twin-car trains – 15 for emergency service, plus two backups – Manconi abruptly changed his position and said that Ottawa needed only 13 trains for peak service.
In March, the CBC announced that SNC-Lavalin had told the city Expects to be at least four months late Completion of the trillion line extension – Information not shared with councilors.
And pride from the mayors
Top leaders of the city have rushed to thank Mangoni for his decades-long work, especially overseeing the LRT project.
In a statement, Mayor Jim Watson called on Manconi to “provide security and well-being for residents, customers and staff.”
Above all, ”and praised him for maintaining good relations with the transport union.
“We all know that John was instrumental in planning and delivering Ottawa’s LRT system
The city’s most transformative project since the Rio Canal was built, “Watson Vote.” He looked at us
Construction phase of the project, commissioning and start-up and challenging first year
Repairing the system. “
City Manager Steve Canellagos, who has worked closely with Manconi for many years, said in a note to the council and the Transportation Authority that “he is very happy that John is moving on to the next chapter of his life.”
“However, I feel that his departure will be felt by everyone in our company. John is a dynamic, results
A leader who has borne the brunt of many leadership roles over the past ten years. “
Canellagos noted that Manconi has given almost five months notice of his departure and has set aside a lot of time to become the new senior manager. Canellagos said he will get more details on the recruitment process soon.