With the highest rate of new cases in COVID-19 patients and schools enrolled in Ontario’s intensive care units, several sources say, Prime Minister Doug Ford will announce plans to transform the entire province into a “shutdown” that the government will describe on Thursday.
The provincial government’s COVID-19 scientific advisers are scheduled to release new modeling on Thursday morning, showing the expected impact of a third wave of the epidemic over the next few weeks.
The Ford announcement is said to subject the province’s health units to a new level of regulation, known as the shutdown, which is scheduled to follow at 1:30 p.m. Exact details of how the previous strike or shelter orders were implemented (Toronto, for example, has been locked up since last November) have not yet been released.
However, sources told the CBC News that the restrictions were almost identical Are currently in place Already locked areas – two-thirds of the province’s public health departments are now known as government locking (gray zone) or restriction (red zone) restrictions.
Ford On Wednesday he said he was “very worried” About both the increasing ICU admission and the daily COVID-19 case count. When asked if the government would tighten public health measures, Ford responded with a “wait”, saying an announcement would come Thursday.
Sources said personal care services such as indoor food, hair care centers and indoor exercise activities in restaurants are to be banned, explaining the decision taken late Wednesday by Ford’s cabinet. A few days ago, Ford also announced barber shops that could open until April 12th.
Essential retail outlets such as grocery stores should be limited to 50 percent of their full capacity, while non-essential retail outlets can allow customers within a maximum of 25 percent capacity, precisely the current rules for locking zones. Construction is permitted and religious services may take place, but with some capacity limitations.
The third wave of COVID-19 has risen vertically and steadily in Ontario since early March. The distribution of vaccines did not come quickly to spread More infectious and dangerous types The virus among the general population.
Allowing variations to spread more ‘unethically’, ICU doctors say
A panel of 153 ICU doctors released an open letter to the government on Thursday.
The letter warns that doctors are looking after younger patients, including parents of school-aged children, and entire families affected by infectious corona virus variants.
“We have unlimited ICU capacity but allow these [variants of concern] Spreading fast is unethical, “the letter said.
“As ICU doctors, we are the last line of defense. We sound the alarm. Please listen to it.”
You can read the whole letter at the bottom of this story.
Schools are also in Limbo
There are also questions as to what these trends mean to students and families. Although the cabinet has not yet decided what will happen after the April 12-16 spring break, those sources said schools will not be immediately affected by the strike.
But a letter dated March 31 says it was sent to families on the York Catholic District School Board that the Ministry of Education would like to announce that schools in the province will be closed for four weeks.
The letter states that the strike will begin on April 6.
Education associations have called in some of the worst-affected regions Classes go online only Immediately on this long weekend.
The number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario schools last week was the highest weekly total since the outbreak.
- During the week of March 22, 1,222 cases were reported among staff and students.
- A further 850 new cases were reported in the first two days of this week.
The main driver to worry about this wave of infections in Ontario is the burden on hospital ICUs. Currently they have 421 patients seriously ill with COVID-19, which is the highest number since the outbreak began, according to a daily report released Wednesday by Critical Care Services Ontario.
Health officials expect the figure to continue to rise. After Ontario imposed a statewide lockout on Boxing Day, it took almost three weeks for hospital admissions to begin to decline.
The Recent work Through the COVID-19 modeling partnership – a team of scientists and physicians from the University of Toronto, the University Health Network and Sunnybrook Hospital – the number in the ICU will rise to 700 by mid-April and 800 in the third week of the month.
Anthony Dale, president of the Ontario Hospitals Association, said: “The situation is very serious.” Our critical care system in Ontario is not structured for such a major accident. ”
Dale compares Ontario’s situation to an accident landing with an airplane.
“Right now, the flight crew is advising passengers on the best way to protect themselves and be prepared for the impact,” he said in an interview. “That’s what our health care system is trying to do right now: be prepared for the impact and make sure people who need access to life-saving care have the maximum probability of getting it.”
The result is that a greater number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care are exposed to newer strains of the virus that make people sicker than the original strains of the virus.
A significant proportion of the population affected by the third wave of Ontario ends up in intensive care than at any stage of the epidemic.
This is clear from the aggression figures. The ICU numbers in the second wave did not rise until the average daily number of new cases exceeded 3,500. Ontario set a new ICU record last week by reporting an average of about 2,300 new cases a day.
On December 21, Ford Announced Plans for provincial-level locks in the aftermath of Christmas, the average number of new daily cases is 2,276.
A key difference between the December situation and the current third wave is that Ontarians – long-term care residents – who are most vulnerable to COVID-19 deaths – are often vaccinated against the disease.
Recent provincial statistics show just 10 active cases among long-term care residents. More than 15,000 residents were affected during the outbreak, more than 3,750 of whom died
However, hospitals feel inconvenience to ICUs especially staff.
“We can build capacity by opening tents and saying we’re going to create more space on the computer,” said Dr. Taslim Nimji, a physician for the COVID-19 emergency response at Humber River Hospital.
“But in the end the question is, can you be an employee?” Nimji said in an interview with CBC News on Wednesday. “Also, can you employ health workers who bring their A-game every day?”
Dr. Michael Warner, critical care medical director at Michael Coron Hospital in Toronto, said the hospital is ready for ICU aggression rates of more than 15 percent at full capacity.
“We can’t maintain a patient in a bed, we can’t work,” Warner said Post on Twitter. .
To meet the growing demand for ICUs, hospitals are facing the possibility of re-employing more health workers – such as surgical nurses – where there should be a one-patient-to-nurse ratio.
“Right now, for the situation we are in, opening more beds is not going to bring us more staff,” said Vicky McKenna, president of the Ontario Nurses Association.
In an interview, McKenna said nurses feel “moral stress” from the effects of infections.
“They feel like they don’t have time to grieve,” McKenna said. “They’re short staff. The extra time, the hours they work, it takes a number. I’m not sure how long they can keep pace.”
Statistics from Ontario show that about 30 percent of all COVID-19 patients admitted for intensive care have died during the outbreak. That’s approx In Canada, pre-epidemic ICU tripled mortality rates.
Here is the open letter signed by 153 Ontario ICU Physicians: