Toronto cancels CNE, other major events for the 2nd straight summer over the Covit-19

The City of Toronto has canceled its second major summer event due to COVID-19, which was confirmed Friday.

Toronto continues to catch high levels of COVID-19 during the third wave of epidemics, although daily case numbers have been declining in recent weeks. Although provincial officials yesterday expressed confidence that July and August would be as normal as possible, the cancellation would last until Labor Day.

Canceled events include the Canadian National Exhibition, Taste of Danford, Caribbean Carnival, Salsa in Toronto and more. At the bottom of this story you will find the full list published by the city – and remember, many of these events move in some style online.

Why make a decision in May when the future seems so uncertain? The city says it has asked for “advance notice as much as possible” to help organizers with their planning at a news release event.

Mayor John Tory told CBC Radio Metro morning He hopes the city will be in its best place in the late summer, but he is not sure it will be safe to be “shoulder to shoulder” with large groups.

Waiting until the last minute to cancel events will also attract criticism, he said.

Like the newly painted circles at Trinity Bellwoods Park on the western edge of the city, there is already another distant summer to Toronto. (Evan Mitsui / CBC)

Earlier, the Tory news release said the city was determined to see CNE return next year. Last year’s closure was the first time a historic event had been canceled since World War II.

“I have been working with the Canadian National Exhibition to help exhibit this difficult year and prepare for a bigger and better person event in 2022,” he said.

CNE organizers say the event generates about 128 million for the Ontario economy each year and attracts approximately 1.4 million viewers when open.

The move is in line with the recommendations of the Ontario Medical Association (OMA), which warned this week that mass meetings should be banned when the province is ready to reopen.

Watch | You may ask more about what OMA experts think should be reopened and what not to do in this video:

The Ontario Medical Association wants to reopen, and it is even more dangerous to go to the province for the summer months. 3:16

The city has now delivered 1.6 million vaccine doses

The city claims to have received 1.6 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine (total population, approximately 3 million).

More than 650,000 people have registered for the vaccine at the clinic, which is run by the city, while tens of thousands will receive the first dose on pop-up and mobile sites in the first few weeks.

However, as the province plans to shift its vaccination strategy from hotspots, the city’s vaccination rate is likely to decline.

On Thursday, Ontario announced it would remain “home to stay” until June 2nd.

Meanwhile, the city of Toronto has been locked up since last November.

Here is a list of canceled events published by the city:

  • Taste of the Middle East
  • Taste of Lawrence
  • Honda Indy
  • Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition
  • Afrofest
  • Salsa in Toronto
  • 49th Anniversary of India
  • Blur West Streetfest
  • Beaches Jazz Festival
  • S Fest
  • Caribbean Junior Carnival
  • Scarborough Rifest
  • Caribbean Carnival, King and Queen Contest, Bon Alive and Grand Parade
  • Taste of Danforth
  • Wagandale Food and Beverage Festival
  • Bollywood Movie Exhibition
  • Waterfront night market
  • Canadian National Exhibition
  • Mabuhe Philippines Festival
  • Toronto Chinatown Festival
  • Labor Day parade

Sophia Harrison

Part time worker

I'm Sophia Harrison working as a part-time staff at the Costco since the past year until I become as an author at the iron blade, hope I can use my experiences with the supermarkets here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top